St. Lawrence Health System has established four Community Testing sites across St. Lawrence County where free drive-up tests are safely available to the community. The Community Testing sites can currently test approximately 300 patients per day, and we will be expanding hours and testing capacity before the end of the year. St. Lawrence Health System is also actively developing significant in-house testing capabilities to get results sooner.
Currently, same- or next-day appointments are usually available. Appointments are strongly encouraged to ensure the smoothest experience for our patients. If you have questions about scheduling a COVID-19 test, please call the SLHS COVID Hotline.
Regardless of insurance (or lack of insurance), there is NO COST to patients for all COVID-19 tests through St. Lawrence Health System.
SLHS COVID-19 Hotline (daily): (315) 261-6240
SLHS Pediatric COVID-19 Hotline (Monday - Friday): (315) 261-5869
SLHS Community Testing Centers
The following centers are open daily; hours and locations are:
- 7:00AM - 5:00 PM, 80 East Main Street in Canton
- 7:00AM - 3:00 PM, 1 Hospital Drive in Massena
- 7:00AM - 5:00 PM, 145 Market Street in Potsdam
The testing center at Gouverneur Hospital is open Monday - Friday, 7:00AM - 3:00 PM, 77 West Barney Street in Gouverneur.
The Pediatric Testing Center is open Monday - Friday, 7:00AM - 3:00 PM, 80 East Main Street in Canton.
What Does a COVID-19 Test Cost?
Our patients will never be billed for COVID tests. No matter what kind of COVID-19 test a patient receives, there is no cost to the patient.
We do submit claims to insurance; however, even if insurance does not pay the full amount, patients do not receive a bill for the balance.
Among other testing options, we offer free tests made available by New York State at all SLHS Community Testing Centers. If you would like this free test, please request the “free state test” when scheduling your appointment.
Can I Be Tested?
If any of the following are true, you can schedule a test at an SLHS Community Testing Site.
- You have been in direct contact with a person known to be Covid-19 positive.
- You are experiencing symptoms of COVID-19 (see Symptoms).
- You have an order for a COVID-19 test from a medical provider.
- You have a referral from the St. Lawrence County Department of Health.
- Your employer is requiring a COVID-19 test.
- You need a COVID-19 test for travel reasons.
For pediatric patients who require a provider consultation for clearance, please call the Pediatric Hotline (315) 261-5869.
If you still have questions about being tested, call our Triage Nurse Line at (315) 212-1415.
Before Your Test
- For your safety and others, you must arrive in a motor vehicle.
- Each person to be tested must be seated next to a working window.
- Limit vehicle passengers to those needing a test.
- Anyone registered for testing may be asked to produce photo ID which includes name and date of birth (valid driver's license, state-issued ID, or passport).
- Please bring tissues and a washcloth/towel.
- If you cannot keep your appointment, please call the SLHS Hotline (315) 261-6240 so someone else can be tested at that time.
When You Arrive
- At each SLHS Community Testing Center, directional signage will help guide you through the testing site in an orderly fashion.
- While at the testing site, remain in your vehicle at all times.
- If the testing site features parking lanes or a drive-through, a check-in number will be clearly listed. Otherwise, upon arrival, call the number you were given when you made your appointment.
- Upon checking in, you will be asked to blow your nose using the tissue you brought with you. You will need to dispose of the tissue on your own.
- A health care provider in personal protective gear will come to your vehicle and provide you with instructions.
- A soft swab will be inserted deep into your nose to get the necessary sample. This may be slightly uncomfortable, but the test is quick and should take less than a minute.
- After the test, you will be given information/instructions to take with you while you await the results. Although individual turnaround times vary, your COVID-19 test result should be available in 2-4 full days.
Patient Testing Information
Download the COVID-19 Community Testing Patient Information Packet.
If you still have questions, please visit Facts and Questions.